Karibu

Karibu
You are most welcome to my little corner of the internet. Here you will find the people who have supported me in getting back to Uganda, my honest thoughts in preparation to leave again, and the journey of working with war-affected children and families in Gulu, Uganda. Oh, and obviously all things expressed here are my thoughts and do not necessarily reflect Partners Worldwide (nor anyone else I'm associated with, just to keep you all safe.) :)

Thursday, July 31, 2008

I don't really want to be that girl at the table.

I think some people almost want me to be that girl who will tell them what a bad person they are for supporting the corporations they do. Sometimes I live up to that image, but in general, I don't really fit the mold.

I don't want this to be another example of making-you-feel-bad-because-you're-so-American guilt trips. I have heard numerous things in the past about the connection between conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the special minerals, Coltan and Colbalt, which is found in your (and my) cell phone.

So just for the pure educational aspect,
and making us think a little more about how the world is so tightly connected,
and with the hopes that someone might be moved enough to dedicate time and effort to fighting this evil we unknowingly partake in,
click this link to see a report I've been reading.

No comments: